Wednesday, March 01, 2006

BIG fun, Texas style...a tribute to YQ

We went to Austin, TX on the weekend of January 28th for my 2nd half-marathon. Actually, that was a farce. It was a great excuse to go see our friend Yvonne.

Yvonne Queralt is an amazing person, one of the dearest friends that Chuck and I together have shared.. An individual like her is a gem, a rarity. She comes from an amazing family, steeped in tradition and faith, and wisdom. Oh man, the wisdom that each member of her family contains is astounding.

She walked into our lives SOON after we were married and demanded attendance at THE Texas/ Arkansas football game that had been schedulesd 6 years from then. "no matter where you are in life or how many kids you have." Being married for 3 months, Chuck went pale at the plural "kids." Of course, she was right.

You will NEVER find a better host. She opens her home and her life and makes you a part of her family. Chuck and I adore her mom, Mrs. Delia (or mama Q), and have really enjoyed getting to know her brother Mark's family.

She has always said, "Your closest friends are the ones that you waste the most time with." That was never truer that this weekend. We did SO much with her while we did lots of nothing. Does that make any sense? Not to those who have never been busy doing nothing. We loved every minute with her.

She and Chuck share so much history...for 4 years they worked together (or wasted time together?!)...but they shared so much more than that. There were so SO SO many laughs. Chuck says that Yvonne has the lowest threshold for laughter that he has ever known, making it a blessing just to be around her. Life in residency wasn't always fun, it wasn't always easy, it wasn't always good even...but there was a bond that you could always count on-a constancy on a crazy world. She and Chuck share many many more medical memories and actually are good at making me feel a part of THEIR medical family. :)

We were able to catch up, pick up where we left off...and continue. The food was amazing, the margaritas to die for, and the weather was perfect (including the rainstorm that killed the power the first morning so we HAD to sleep in!) We loved it.

The first full day there was the rainstorm and we stayed in our pj's visiting until AFTER NOON! We then went and got my race packet and drove the course so I could see it. THEN we went to Town Lake in downtown Austin. Yvonne is the most athletic person we've ever known (she's a runner, biker, swimmer, and has been know to do a triathalon per week)...and she has recently taken up CREW. To us rednecks, it is rowing. She took us kayaking on the lake where we enjoyed the peace and watched the sunset. Wow.


This is a pic of the 3 of us. Do you know how hard it is for 3 people IN kayaks to lean together for a self portrait?! Tricky.











Chuck and I with downtown Austin in the background.













Yvonne and the sunset...














THE sunset. Wow.










Chuck and I before the race started. Yes, it was still dark!



The bikes that Chuck and Yvonne rode.


It was the coolest ever...Yvonne had the idea for her and Chuck to ride the race course backwards until they found me. It was brilliant! It kept me running and gave me something to do.

The race...where I set a personal record. Think it might be because it was all downhill??


They found me at mile 7 where Chuck RAN with me. They found me again at 9 and mile 10. He ran up the biggest hill of the race with me. It made the mile 10 WALL seem ok.


The man with THREE kids in a jogging stroller. Ages 7, 5, and 3. If that wasn't enough, he also had a CASE of Coors LIGHT in the bottom.

I LOVED the race. the most amazing part is that Yvonne surprised both Chuck and me with a full body massage at her gym. We were completely shocked...and it was incredible. It actually prevented me from being sore.

This is the view from our post race dinner. I could never have imagined a prettier view...better company, or a more fun trip.




I have yet to mention Rose...another highlight of the trip. Rose (short for Rose Bowl, since TX won) is YQ's new puppy. She is beautiful, sweet, and FULL of energy. A true puppy--we had so much fun with her.






Lastly...when Charlie was born, Yvonne claimed that he would play linebacker for TX. She may be right...but it may be Zach.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

I AM running the LR marathon...but doing the 4 man relay. I am running the leg that goes right past the church so I am really excited to see y'all!

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home