Friday, December 02, 2005

Race Day



Last January, I took up running. My parents had filed for divorce, Chuck was working a lot, the boys were crazy and so was I. I found it to be a GREAT stress reliever and quickly become addicted. I remember running with a friend in our neighborhood and after what seemed like forever, I was DYING. "How far have we been?" I panted. She looks at her fancy GPS. "About 1/3 of a mile." Humbling. After 3 months, I had built my distance up to 1.5 miles, which made me an official "beginner runner." In April, I drove to Nashville to visit my sister. I rode with a friend who was running a half-marathon and she challenged me to do the same. December 3rd was to be the St. Jude Marathon and half-marathon. I set my goal for then.

In August, I ran my first race. It was the 4 mile classic in Batesville. That was the farthest I had ever run and was SO nervous. I had an ingrown toenail and Chuck had shot it with lidocaine so it wouldn't hurt. I ran faster than I ever had on a DEAD toe. It about KILLED me...but I won 3rd place in my division. (I truly think there were only 4 participants)



So here it is. The race is this Saturday. I have worked my BUTT off since January. 11 months...and I am ready.

Why so far??

I am doing it for my boys. Oh my gosh, I love them so much! I wasn't being the mom I wanted to be. I was stressed and frazzled. Running has given me perspective, patience, and that endorphin "feel good" happiness that makes me a better mom.

I am doing it for Chuck--I feel more attractive, more self-confident of my post-partum body, and more mellow. It also gives me goal and the satisfaction when I meet them.

Most of all...I am doing it for me.

When Charlie was born, I lost all sense of perspective. I gave EVERYTHING to my kids. A colleague once told me, "Never stop being involved in the things that interest you...always keep your own stuff going on or you will lose sight of who you are." I did just that. Running has allowed me QUIET TIME to reflect and think, it has allowed me to blow off steam. Most of all, I have regained a sense of me. I feel like I have some crazy new found strength enables my body do what my mind wants it to do. With it I have found a peace. I love it.

This past week, I have fought a cold, fought yet another ingrown toenail, AND tripped onver a TONKA bulldozer and busted my knee. It was discolored and swollen. (so were my spirits)

You know what? I am still running. I think I would run blind and one-legged if I had to. I have worked too long and too hard to let anything get in the way. 8:00 on Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes...

2 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

You're so sweet--ok...an update...I will blog one!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

this is definitely late...but i am trying to learn about you thru your blog. is it nuts that i LOVE that you admit you needed time for yourself to be a better person?

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home